Here are a few bed and breakfast establishments, taken from a list provided by the New Orleans Bed & Breakfast Association. You can also contact them for recommendations and/or availability: (504) 838-0071, 838-0072 or 838-0073. Note: Many things have changed in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina. Always call the B&B to double-check current rates!
- Bayou St. John B&B, 1318 Moss Street, New Orleans, LA 70119. (504) 482-6677
- Innkeepers: Dottie & Phil Shall. Rooms: 2 rooms, private baths. Rates: $85-125 (cash/advance chk/cc). Comments: On Historic Bayou Saint John near Esplanade Avenue. Two blocks to New Orleans Museum of Art, JazzFest, Pitot House, City Park golf and tennis courts and several cafes. Private entrance.
- Benachi-Torre-Derbes House, 2257 Bayou Road, New Orleans, LA 70119. (504) 525-9538
- Innkeeper: James G. Derbes. Rooms: 2 rooms, private baths. Rates: $76 - $126 (cash/check). Comments: Experience the romance and grandeur of this elegant Revival Mansion, tastefully restored to its former glory. Classic landmark, award-winning restoration, convenient location, family home. Continental Plus Breakfast
- The Chimes Bed & Breakfast, 1146 Constantinople Street New Orleans, LA 70115. (504) 899-2621
- Innkeepers: Jill and Charles Abbyad. Rooms: 5, with private baths. Rates: $115.00 - $155.00 (Off-Season rates are lower; Special Events rates are higher). Comments: One of the best places to stay in New Orleans, highly rated by the Frommer's Guide to New Orleans (the author of which is a regular guest). Three blocks from St. Charles Avenue in the historic Garden District. Filled with antiques and unique architectural details, the house's guest rooms all have private entrances and open onto a shaded brick courtyard. Stained and leaded glass windows, French doors, and cypress staircases enhance the friendly, relaxed atmosphere here. A great spot for romantic getaways and family fun. A longtime favorite among guests returning to New Orleans, the home's focus is comfort.
[NOTE: I've been to this one, and it's a fantastic place to stay. The hosts are beyond compare, and the house is gorgeous. -- Chuck]
- Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed and Breakfast, 1415 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (866) 569-8700.
- Innkeeper: Miss Karen. Rooms 24. Rates $89-$250 Comments: One block from St. Charles Streetcar line. Comprising two renovated 1849 Mansions and a converted slave quarters surrounding a quiet banana tree courtyard with fountain. Pet kid & friendly. Free wireless and hard-wired internet, free local phones. Not your usual B&B.
- French Quarter Lanaux House, P.O. Box 52257, New Orleans, LA 70152. (800) 729-4640
- Innkeeper: Ruth Bodenheimer. Rooms: 3 suites, private baths. Rates: $96 - $141 (cash/trv chk/chk/$ order). Comments: Romantic suites in 1879 Italianate mansion. Private courtyard. Member: Bed & Breakfast Exclusive Registry of New Orleans, representing rated and inspected historic properties at various rates. Free brochure of listings.
- Girod House, 835 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70116. (504) 522-5214
- Innkeeper: Rodney R. Smith. Rooms: 6 rooms, private baths. Rates: $135 - $195 (cash/V/MC/Amex). Comments: Built in 1833 for Francois Girod. Unique example of Creole architecture. Restore to six suites, each individually designed with living room, bedroom, kitchen, and bath. Antique furnishings. Central air/heat.
- House of the Rising Sun, 355 Pelican Ave., New Orleans, LA 70114. (504) 367-8461.
- Innkeepers: Kevin Herridge and Wendy Portier Herridge. Rates upon request. Located across the Mississippi River from downtown New Orleans in the historic Algiers Point neighborhood, a few minutes' walk from the Algiers Ferry, which is free and which will take you to the opposite bank's ferry landing in about 7 minutes (it's then a quick walk to downtown or the French Quarter). The house is an 1896 cypress shotgun double, 12 foot ceilings, wood floors.
- House on Bayou Road, 2275 Bayou Road, New Orleans, LA 70119. (504) 945-0992
- Innkeeper: Cynthia I. Reeves. Rooms: 4 rooms, 3 baths. Rates: $95 - $130 (cash/check/V/MC). Comments: Petite plantation 10 blocks from French Quarter. National Register of Historic Places. Airy antique-filled rooms/suites. Lush patio with pond. Screened porches. Offstreet secured parking. Plantation-style breakfast. Hot tub, pool.
- Maison Belle Rêve, 1325 General Pershing St., New Orleans, LA 70115. (504) 897-0801
- Innkeepers: Kimberly and Guy Mouledoux. Rooms: 2 rooms, private baths. Rates: $125-140 standard, $80 - 100 summer. Two-night minimum stay. Comments: Beautiful rooms filled with antiques. Magnificent Queen Anne Victorian mansion, built in 1892 and fully restored. Spacious rooms, 13-foot ceilings, unique architectural details. Centrally located in Uptown New Orleans.
- Maison Esplanade, 1244 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70116. (800) 290-4BED
- Innkeepers: Ros Gray & Delores Boeckl. Rooms: 9 rooms, private baths. Rates: $49 - $129 (cash/check/V/MC/Amex/Disc). Comments: Beautifully furnished and restored home built in 1846. 2 blocks to French Quarter. Private baths, phones, 13' ceilings, hardwood floors. Free parking, secure. Turn down service and suites available.
- Marigny Guest House, 617 Kerlerec, New Orleans, LA 70116. (504) 944-9700
- Innkeeper: Dick Elliot. Rooms: 5 rooms, private baths. Rates: $75 - $135 (cash/trv chk/cc). Comments: All rooms have private entrance and bath. One block from the French Quarter. Off-street parking. Furnished with antiques, four-poster beds, teddy bears, rubber duck in bath. Individual a/c.
- Mentone B&B, 1437 Pauger Street, New Orleans, LA 70116. (504) 943-3019
- Innkeepers: Charlene D. Coco and Ragan Kimbrell. Rooms: 2 suites, private baths. Rates: $60 - $150 (cash/trv chk). Comments: At the foot of Bourbon Street, Victorian home c. 1896. Suites feature private entrance, kitchenette, sitting room, bedroom, antiques, oriental rugs. Lush tropical garden, pond. Champagne, expanded continental breakfast, parking.
- New Orleans First B&B, 3660 Gentilly Boulevard, New Orleans, LA 70122. (504) 947-3401
- Innkeeper: Sarah Margaret Brown. Rooms: 3 rooms, 2-1/2 baths. Rates: $55 - $100 (cash/check/money ord/V/MC/Amex). Comments: Oak trees shade this quiet family area. Direct busing to popular areas. Master bedroom has king size bed. Are deco design. Continental breakfast. Off-street parking. Discount coupons for some attractions are available.
- Rathbone Inn, 1227 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70116. (504) 947-2100
- Innkeepers: Richard Mole & Robert Feldman. Rooms: 9 rooms, private baths. Rates: $60 - $120 (cash/check/cc). Comments: Stay in an 1850s Esplanade mansion. 1 1/2 blocks to the French Quarter. Accomodations range from economical units to large balcony suite. All have private bath and kitchenettes. Pay parking available.
- Sun Oak B&B, 2020 Burgundy Street, New Orleans, LA 70116. (504) 945-0322
- Innkeepers: Eugene Cizek and Lloyd Sensat, Jr. Rooms: 2 rooms, private baths. Rates: $75 - $100 (cash/advance check/trv chk). Comments: In Historic Faubourg Marigny, five minutes to the French Quarter. C. 1836. Creole cottage. Antique furnishings. Off-street parking. Sub- tropical gardens. House museum published in several national magazines and books.
- Terrell House, 1441 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130. (504) 524-9859
- Innkeepers: H. Lucas, T. Hove, C. Burns. Rooms: 9 rooms, private baths Rates: $60 - $175 (cash/check/V/MC/Amex/Dine). Comments: 1858 restored mansion. Rooms funished with period antiques, TV, telephone. Guests welcome to use double parlor, dining room, courtyard, kitchen. Continental breakfast, evening refreshments.
- Woods Hole Inn Bed & Breakfast, 78253 Woods Hole Lane, Folsom, LA 70437
- Innkeepers: Sam and Marsha Smalley. Near Covington, LA on the North Shore, 45 minutes from New Orleans. Rates: Range $85 to $120. Rates for Sunday through Thursday nights are $100 per night. Friday and Saturday nights are $120 per night or $200 for both nights. Discounts are given according to length of stay and number of suites reserved. Comments: Three suites provide different themes accented with antique furnishings for your relaxation. Each has a private drive, entrance, living area with fireplace, bedroom and bath. Amenities include microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and cable TV & VCR.
new orleans page | the gumbo pages
search this site
Chuck Taggart email chuck (at) gumbopages (dot) com